If you feel overwhelmed or unsure about what innovative new products to choose as part of a renovation or new home build – and whether to believe all manufacturer claims, you’re not alone.
The pace of change and the number of options is staggering with 1,000s of new products coming to market annually. Many of these solutions are complex, technology dependent, and disruptive to the residential home industry.
Even if you have time to do your own research and “homework”, you may lack the technical knowledge to objectively and confidently assess these advanced products – and choose wisely.
That’s what the OakWood-Holmes (OH) High Performance Initiative is all about: a pilot program available exclusively in Ottawa that leverages the expertise, technology and processes from OakWood and The Holmes Group:
- We’ve done the homework so you can choose confidently from Holmes Approved Products
- All products are part of a customized Design & Build Plan from OakWood
- Installation by OakWood’s certified trade professionals
- Optional validation of home performance with Holmes High Performance Home Inspections
We Track Four Areas of Change and Innovation
Oakwood and Mike Holmes believe the residential home industry is being transformed by innovations in four fast changing areas:
Innovative products, materials and technologies from any of these four areas are fundamentally changing the way any room or custom home is designed and built – and ultimately the way we live.
While these innovations deliver life enhancing benefits they can also add complexity. Many require highly specialized technical expertise to ensure they are installed correctly and in accordance with manufacturer warranty guidelines.
The OH High Performance Initiative inoculates you against this complexity while helping you choose innovative products confidently from a trusted source.
How the OH High Performance Initiative Works
The OH High Performance Initiative combines established, best-of-breed practices from OakWood and The Holmes Group. We’ve done the homework saving you hours
- Confidently choose advanced home building products that benefit from extensive research by OakWood and the Holmes Group – and are part of Holmes Approved Products
- Ensure any innovative products you choose are included in a customized Design & Build plan by OakWood – and professionally installed by certified trades professionals
- Add to the resale of your home by documenting the entire installation process and confirming performance through an optional Holmes High Performance Inspection
- Invaluable if you are planning a major renovation or new custom home where energy efficiency, technology and automation, a healthy living environment; and industry leading, and green materials are priorities
- Renovation projects that would benefit include additions, bump-outs, attic conversions, basements, sun rooms and solariums, in-law suites – and any full home gut to the studs or teardown
- Traditional smaller scale renovation projects – such as kitchens and bathrooms – can also benefit from product, material, and technology selections from the Holmes Approved Products
If you want to learn more about the OakWood-Holmes High Performance Pilot Initiative exclusively in Ottawa – and bring the most innovative, state-of-the art design and build practices into your project,
or schedule a consultation with an OakWood Project Consultant.
The OH High Performance Initiative Gives You Convenient Access to Holmes Approved Innovations in Four Areas
Stop paying a fortune on hydro…reduce your carbon footprint
We can provide recommendations on energy reducing options all the way to a net-zero High-Performance Home or building which can produce at least as much energy as it uses
Techniques and solutions include:
- Improving the building envelope to ensure a high R-value
- Solar panels, potentially generating more electricity than your High-Performance Home or building uses
- Geothermal to save up to 70% in heating mode and up to 50% in cooling mode
- Lighting solutions that eliminate incandescent bulbs
- Tankless water heaters
- Energy Star™ appliances that use 20% to 70% less energy
- Cool roofs that use reflective materials
- And many others
Smart Home technology and intelligent building automation
Using advanced technology to drive superior project efficiencies and better decisions – and bringing the most innovative new technologies for connecting, controlling, and automating anything
Using advanced technology:
- Visit the new state-of-the-art OakWood Design Centre with QR bar codes on over 7,500 items
- Cloud-based computing giving Project Managers and Design consultants immediate access to schedules and material information
- 3D software to provide photo realistic designs that include your final material selections
- True password protected Client Portal providing 24/7 access to all documents and real-time updates
- Microsoft HoloLens to visual proposed design concepts (coming soon)
- And more
- Take advantage of the Internet of Things to connect to, automate, or control anything from any location on the planet: smart hubs, remote control switches, home alarms and sensors, smart door locks, security cameras, appliances, and more
Intelligent building automation:
- Integrate intelligent building technologies to lower operating expense, enhance you’re the environment for renters or users, and differentiate your High-Performance Home or building
The Healthy Home & Building
Nurtures those who are working or living with a healthy, toxin-free environment…
We can recommend design elements and non-toxic building materials to eliminate irritants and create a healthy environment
- Using materials that emit no toxic gasses and are mold resistant
- Biobased insulation options like soy based and cotton-based insulation – avoiding spray foam and fiberglass
- Incorporating passive solar and quiet, energy-efficient hydronic (radiant) heating systems
- Heat recovery ventilator (HRV) and energy recovery ventilator (ERV) to deliver fresh air to your High-Performance Home or building
- Following the Canada Green Building Council’s guidelines for the design and build of healthier buildings
- And many other solutions
The Eco-Friendly Building or Home
Practicing Eco-Friendly construction methods…providing green, eco-friendly material options.
OakWood and The Holmes Group have always practiced the most environmentally advanced construction methods and can also recommend eco-friendly materials
- Anything that is reusable from any renovation or building project gets recycled
- Reusable materials are directed to families in need through our partnership with Habitat for Humanity
- We subcontract to the leading environmental services company in Ottawa to ensure compliance with the EPA
We can help you go as green as you want:
- Products that use reclaimed lumber, recycled plastic, recycled glass or natural products such as bamboo, cork, linoleum (anything that is made with natural, renewable products)
- Energy saving strategies including Energy Star appliances, low flow faucets and toilets, tankless water heaters, LED lights, rainwater harvesting systems, solar panels, geo thermal, and many others
Validate Your Home’s Performance with Holmes High Performance Inspections
Holmes High Performance Inspections provide an important and optional service provided by The Holmes Group
- Documentation of the installation process using interim inspections
- Thermal imaging assessment
- Mould, Radon and comprehensive indoor air quality tests (for projects drawing products/materials/technologies in the health category)
- Mike’s Final top to bottom inspection
- A comprehensive High Performance Home Inspection report with documented proof of the installation and performance to validate performance and increase re-sale values.
Let’s discuss how the OakWood-Holmes
High Performance Initiative
Can help your project
Whether you are planning a renovation or new custom home OakWood can help you take advantage of major innovations in energy efficiency, Smart Home and intelligent building automation, healthy environments, and Eco-friendly building practices.
Or request a Consultation with an OakWood Project Consultant by completing the form